Tuesday, June 23, 2009

On the mend

I am pretty excited that my calf muscle has improved to the point that I am now planning on running tomorrow. In my experience a calf muscle take between 5-6 weeks to come right, and I think by the time I am able to run for a solid 45min it will have been 6 weeks since I was i..... It'll be a very slow and very short jog tomorrow. I think I’ll start with a 5min walk, 2min jog, 1min walk, 2min jog. If that goes well, i'll go 5min walk, 5min jog, 1min walk, 5min jog on Thursday.

This time off running hasn't been a complete dead loss though as I have used this time to get my bike miles up and work on my swimming. My swimming has improved in leaps & bounds since Ironman NZ, and I feel like I am now swimming more efficiently; I am defiantly swimming faster. My riding has also come along nicely, and I am now feel like I am riding more smoothly and can hold a decent tempo for longer. Although I did suffer a mechanical meltdown on Sunday, when my rear tyre was shredded by some little pricks broken beer bottle. I had to call a Kylie to come and pick me up. This leads me to my questions for this week;

Should Beers & RTDs be bottled in plastic or glass? I vote plastic

Now don’t get me wrong, I like a nice cold beer (or 2) from a glass bottle like any kiwi bloke, however every time some loser throws an empty from his car on to the road and I run over it, it costs me money. I counted up the patches on one of my tubes last night and it had 6 patches on it. Imagine if I’d purchased a new tubes every time that happened – it’d would have cost me $110 on that tube alone. It's a good thing I find patching tubes therapeutic.

Frustrating

1 comment:

  1. If it gets the glass of the roads then i vote prohibition on all glass bottles all together!Although plastic bottles would certinaly add to the poloution problem and not to mention my favorite beers just dont taste the same out of a plastic bottle,and i have been known to enjoy a few cold beers after the race . Maby we could hollow out potatos to use as drinking vessels! Then that way it woulden't matter if the odd spud was tossed out the side of the car because it would simply break down and not cause any damage to our precious tyres. Hey now I think we are onto a winner here! We could sell the spuds in sacks instead of boxes then all we would need is a catchy slogan like "get sacked tonight" I thingk a slogan like that would certinly bring in the punters!And if not it may raise some eyebrows. The only downside i could see is that perhaps some die hard drinkers out there who preferred the old glass bottles would get angry at the cyclists for making them drink out of potatos and throw them at us while we are cycling! or even worse they might develop some kind of spud/potato gun to shoot the potatos at us with!! wouldent that be crazy. untill i work out all the bugs.
    Keep patching those tubes kirky the potato technology is still a long way off!!

    ReplyDelete