Monday, June 8, 2009

North Westerly’s blow

What would you consider more daunting, riding 215km or riding from Tauranga to Auckland? And what if I tell you that you it was a headwind for 175km?

On Saturday Mike & I encountered all of the above!

It was an interesting ride, one that started in comfort and progressed though rain & wind, pain & discomfort, and suffering & regret...but not even that fact that we were riding through Mangere could damped my joy at seeing the Mangere Mount, and knowing that a hot shower and a comfortable chair was only minutes away.

A couple of key memories from the ride

  1. A puncture before Katikati didn’t go down well, and then I found out Mike had 2 spare tubes but only one CO2 cansiter...humour
  2. Steak & Mushroom pies in Paeroa at 9:30am are awesome
  3. Headwinds suck
  4. Miranda? Where? I must have missed it....head down and suffering I suspect
  5. Did you know there was such a place as the Seabird Coast? I didn’t, and I still don’t know why it’s named that...I didn’t see any...although maybe I should refer back to #4
  6. Coke in Kaiaua was a savour
  7. Snake Hill wasn’t as bad as I feared
  8. Headwind = yuk
  9. Kawakawa Bay was as peaceful and serene as ever
  10. Coke in Clevedon was heavenly
  11. West Road after 180km was bloody awful! Every sinew in my legs demanded that I stop, and it took every ounce of pride & determination to keep pushing
  12. The contrast in the suburbs of Auckland is astounding - Whitford, Danemora, Flatbush then into Otara, Otahuhu & Mangere
  13. Did I mention how I feel about headwinds...they blow

Thanks for the company & the tow Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment