Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Swear words....

My least favourite word in the English language is one that i consider a swear word, but it’s probably not one that most people would guess first up....it is INJURY! I dislike it to the point that i don’t even like to say it...strange eh...maybe it is a superstitious fear that it’ll cause one.

 

Anyway, I have spent the last two months getting myself back into some decent running form after my sojourn into triathlon. I had planned out my season, scheduled my races, planned my training and had done pretty much everything right only to get injured 9 days before I was due to race....gutting. I was doing a workout on the wet road about two weeks ago now, and the slipping caused my right calf to tighten, I swam the next morning and cramped twice pushing of the wall, then that night I was 8min into a 90min run when it pinged on me...I was subject to the walk of shame. There is nothing that looks more ridiculous than a guy dressed in running gear walking home with a limp.

 

So no Christchurch Half Marathon this year, however in retrospect it was a very cold and windy day, it would have been pretty miserable...or is that just me justifying it to myself...I’ll let you make up your own mind on that one.

 

I’ve also had to postpone my attempt at the Treadmill Marathon World Record which was scheduled for the 13th June. To shed some light on this event, I was trying to think outside the square about how I could fundraise for my trip to World Ironman Champs in Kona, Hawaii this October. I initially thought I might ride the equivalent of the length of NZ on my wind trainer, or do a static Ironman (endless pool, wind trainer & treadmill) but both of those options just seemed far too daunting (and insane), so I decided to give the Treadmill Marathon World Record a nudge. The current record is held by American Erik Baker at 2:21.40 who set it in 2006....and I reckon I can take it, and to have to postpone this after all the work it took to set up was gutting, but thankfully my supporters have said that they’ll be there when I reschedule it.

 

So onward and upward....and be gone you nasty ‘I’ word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment